To help reduce rising rates of skin cancer from overexposure to the ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun, the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention has designated the Friday before Memorial Day as “Don’t Fry Day” to encourage sun safety awareness, and to remind everyone to protect their skin while enjoying the outdoors. Because no single step can fully protect you and your family from overexposure to UV radiation, follow as many of the following tips as possible:
- Do Not Burn or Tan – the melanin in all our DNA is at baseline, or the lowest point, after winter, and an extended period of little or no UV exposure.
- Seek Shade – if you are going to the beach, bring an umbrella, and by all means try and stay out of the midday sun. Remember UV penetrates most fabric, so even under your umbrella your DNA will receive doses of UVA, UVB and UVC radiation.
- Wear Sun-Protective Clothing – hats are a great way to keep the sun off the top of your head and off your face. If you are on, or near, the water this weekend, remember that UV radiation reflects off the water – your hat will not protect your face.
- Generously Apply Sunscreen – we recommend a broad spectrum 20 SPF or greater sunblock as opposed to the chemical sunscreens. Look for products containing Zinc and Titanium that reflect and scatter UV rays*
- Use Extra Caution Near Water, Snow, and Sand – UV rays reflect off these surfaces with great intensity and will burn your skin.
- Get Vitamin D Safely – the sun is our friend when taken in measured doses. Our bodies naturally convert UVB to the “sunshine vitamin” as cholesterol in our DNA is exposed to the ultraviolet light. But too much of a good thing can be harmful, hence the gentle reminder from your friends at Previse and skincancerprevention.org.
To minimize the harmful effects of excessive and unprotected sun exposure, protection from intense UV radiation should be a life-long practice for everyone.
*Previse clients will be happy to know that we in final testing of our new sunblock Previse SunSheerTM. This innovative product is Broad Spectrum 25 SPF, and when used as part of our skin healthy Previse regimen, Previse SunSheerTM will help protect against skin cancer. Free of PEG’s, petroleum, phthalates, and artificial fragrance our ZeroSiliconeTM recipe is ideal for anyone seeking UVA, UVB and UVC protection. We will continue to keep you updated on the launch of Previse SunSheerTM
Prevention is our Prevention. How do you Previse?