The start of summer is just around the corner, and local markets are flourishing with sweet, bright, glorious red…cherries. You must have started noticing these tiny nutritionally dense powerhouses. Cherries are a super-fruit, packed with incredible health benefits, plus great versatility. They are the perfect, easy-to-pack snack, and foundation ingredient for a huge variety of healthful recipes!
Word to the wise…even though cherries are easily available all year round in different forms – dried, canned, frozen, jams, juice – true joy and deliciousness comes from eating them fresh!One cup of raw cherries has @ 87 calories, 22 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein and 3 grams of fiber.
- packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins, which aid in the reduction of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Anthocyanins also help combat inflammation, and symptoms of arthritis
- one of the few food sources that contain melatonin, an antioxidant that helps to regulate heart rhythms and our body’s sleep cycles
- an excellant source of beta carotene (vitamin A) a nutrient that’s critical for skin wellness, helping protect the skin from sun damage, and crucial to vision and eye health
- rich in vitamins C, E, potassium, magnesium, iron folate and fiber
- high in water content – meaning cherries contribute to overall hydration of the body, which is vital for bright, vibrant, and clear skin. Water also helps the body flush away toxins, allowing for a smooth flow of nutrients into skin cells, so that the skin appears firmer, clearer, and healthier
- make the perfect facial mask – a paste of mashed cherries applied on the skin will refreshes leaves your DNA feeling soft and renewed
- a good source of soluble fiber, helping to reduce cholesterol by escorting it out of your digestive system
How do you Previse?