How can we help make every day, Earth Day? Prevention is an active behavior. Prevention is not passive. How can we easily make our lifestyles more sustainable and environmentally friendly?
10 EASY WAYS TO MAKE EVERY DAY EARTH DAY
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle: Learn some of the basic facts about what can and can’t be recycled. Find out loads more information via the US Environmental Protection Agency or National Recycling Co-alition
- Kill the Energy Beast: Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, Turn off any lights when you leave a room, unplug electrical devices that you do not use frequently. Clean your air filters, use a programmable thermostat so you are not wasting energy when you are not at home or work. At bedtime adjust the thermostat setting.
- In the Laundry room: Make sure washing machine is full, wash clothes using cold water cycles, reduce consumption of detergent + fabric softener, air dry your laundry with a clothesline in your backyard, or use wooden drying racks.
- Use less water: Fix all leaking faucets. In the bathroom – Turn the water off when shaving, brushing your teeth and conditioning your hair. In the kitchen – Don’t rinse dishes under a running tap, instead use a washing up bowl, make sure dishwasher contains a full load before operating.
- Ditch bottled water: At home, school, work and in restaurants. Buy a re-usable water bottle or canteen and use in-house water filtration systems that make tap water a good choice.
- Buy your meat and produce locally. By supporting + contributing to your local economy, you are also eliminating the environmental impact of “food miles”.
- Reduce Junk mail at home & in the workplace: Use a free service to opt out of mail delivery catalogs, coupons, credit card offers, phone books, circulars and more. www.CatologChoice.org
- Commute without Polluting: Walk or ride a bike to work or school, use local mass transit systems, form office, school + recreational carpools.
- Pay attention to packaging: Support stores or co-ops that keep packaging to a minimum, when possible purchase packaging/products that are made from re-cycled products, just say no to paper +plastic bags, take re-usable bags to the grocery store, pack a lunch to work or school everyday.
- Avoid the ‘print’ button: Think twice before printing from your computer, when you do print use both sides of the paper. Pay your bills online, read financial statements, emails and magazines online.
What tips do you have for making every day Earth Day?