Beauty, Beauty Tips when Flying, Dry skin, Exfoliate, Eye Care, Holiday Travel, In Flight Beauty, In flight Skin Care, Oily Skin, Previse, Skin Beauty, Skin Care, Skin Care + Travel, Skin Fitness, Skin Wellness
Let’s face it, traveling is stressful.
Whether you’re traveling for business, a vacation, family homecoming, or simply a quick weekend getaway… today’s travel is not easy. The fastest travel, and ironically most difficult, is by plane. Hurtling through the sky at 500 miles per hour and 30,000 feet, the cabin is pressurized to keep passengers safe from the effects of altitude. The downside is low moisture content, airborne pollutants, and recirculated air. Combined, the effects on your skin can be horrendous. Pressurized cabin air leeches moisture, which leaves your skin dry, itchy and irritated. To compensate, your body produces extra oil to help retain moisture. It’s no wonder your skin can easily look greasy and lackluster at the end of an extended flight.
Following these In-Flight Skin Care tips will help diminish any anxiety by improving the health of your skin so you arrive at your destination glowing and hydrated.
- Exfoliate your skin the night before. Exfoliation is important because it gets rid of the top layer of dead skin cells. Dead skin cells can prevent moisturizer adhesion and make the skin dull.
- Follow with a thick layer of moisturizer, such as our occlusive Previse Hydrobalm. HydroBalm helps the skin retain moisture in preparation for the arid climate of the plane’s cabin.
- Drink plenty of water the day before your flight.
- Do not switch or change your skin care routine prior or during travel. What works for you at home will work best while traveling. If your products aren’t approved for carry-on luggage, decant them in TSA approved travel containers, or simply ask your favorite manufacturer for travel size availability. If you’re travel is for an extended period of time consider shipping your must-haves ahead. For a scant $20 UPS and Fedex will see that your regimen shipped and waiting for your arrival.
- For Women:
– Skip foundation on the day of your trip. Wear only a high quality skin hydrating serum or moisturizer.
– Avoid using mascara or cream eye shadows, particularly for longer flights. If you sleep or take a nap, these products have a tendency to move around on your face as you snooze!
- Prepare your On-Board Skin Care Kit which should include:
1. Previse Nutrify or an alternative eye gel
2. Previse Hydrobalm for superior non-comedogenic hydration
3. Previse Defend for deep hydration and protection
3. Jokipiin Face Cloth
4. Small hand towel
5. Lip balm
6. Your favorite hand lotion or alternatively Previse Defend.
ON BOARD SKIN CARE MAINTENANCE
- Prepare for your flight by purchasing a large bottle of water before boarding. Plan on drinking 8oz of water for every hour you’re in the air.
- Wash and hydrate your skin before going to sleep on long flights, and again on waking. Dampen your Jokipiin face cloth and use a small amount of Previse Purify to cleanse excess oil and airborne pollutants. Pat your face gently with a small hand towel to dry.
- Keep oily skin from getting out of control without stripping moisture. Pack blotting papers or rice papers in your carry-on and dab the “T” zone as needed.
- Say no to skin drying and damaging beverages: alcohol, coffee, and diet sodas are potent dehydrators.
- No amount of washing and hydrating will help if you fail to rest while in-flight. Lack of sleep forces the body to go into overdrive. When stressed, our bodies release the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol can restrict the function of the skin’s barrier and contribute to redness, blotchiness and breakouts.
- A neck pillow and eye mask are the best ways to tuck-in and get some rest. Be sure they are are gentle and soft on your skin. Ear plugs or sound canceling headphones puts you beyond the reach of your fellow passengers. Be sure to tell your flight attendants that you do not wish to be disturbed. Even an hour or two of in-flight rest helps to minimize stress, skin puffiness, and under-eye circles.
- Refresh your eyes and help reduce puffiness by applying an eye gel. We recommend using Previse Nutrify Liposomal Tonic which includes hyaluronic acid for deep hydration. Our marine algae recipe is great for eyelash health, plus our ZeroSilicone recipe excludes parabens and other nasty preservatives which can irritate the eyes. Apply liberally and as needed.
- Please don’t forget about your hands. The skin on your hands dries out just as quickly as your facial skin. Your hands will benefit from regular attention, especially on a long-haul flight. We recommend using Previse Previse Defend or HydroBalm. The recipes are crafted to absorb quickly and include aromatherapeutic botanicals.
- On longer flights try to ‘exercise’ while you fly by walking the length of the cabin several times. If you’re restricted from moving around the cabin simply point your toes up and down while seated, or move your feet in circles for 5 minutes every hour. Keeping your lower extremities active improves blood flow. You’ll be surprised how even these little exercises prevent bloating. Your skin will benefit by looking fresh and radiant when you disembark.
- For Women, before you land, take a few moments to tint your hydrator with a little of your regular foundation, for a fresh, healthy look. Previse Defend and HydroBalm are crafted to readily blend with all commercial and prescriptive foundations.
What additional In-Flight Skin Care tips do you have?